I’ve put together a super easy makeup look that anyone can do using products from theBalm, an AMAZING makeup brand which I’ve been using for years. Until recently, it was impossible to buy the range in store, sad face. BUT as of now, authentic theBalm products will be available exclusively through the authorised retailers Life & Unichem Pharmacies in New Zealand - YAY!
There are a tonne of reasons why I love theBalm; all their products are of high quality (the pigmentation & colour payoff is unreal), high performance (the products actually LAST on your face), & the packaging is ridiculously cute. Probably my favourite feature is how almost all theBalm products are multi-purpose - this is VERY important because not only does it cut down on time/space, but it saves money- whooop! Okay- time to get Christmassy - let’s go!
Okay - after moisturising & priming, you need to choose the right base. I know it can be tempting to go full cake-face for evening makeup, but let’s give something else a try ;) I’m a huge fan of using several lightweight products to build up a full coverage; it looks far nicer, & lasts longer - honestly. In this look, I’m using these guys:
- BalmShelter Tinted Moisturiser: This beauty comes in four shades, and is designed to even out your skintone. The fact that it contains broad spectrum sun protection (SPF18) makes it ideal for use during day or night.
- timeBalm Anti-Wrinkle Concealer: I LOVE this - I’m on my third container! It conceals everything you want it to, doesn’t crease, & contains very good things like vitamins A, C & E, soybean oil & panthenol.
- Sexy Mama Anti-Shine Translucent Powder: An oil-absorbing powder that is brilliant for both setting makeup, & for popping in your handbag to touch up throughout the day/night.
I used theBalm Blend A Hand Tapered Foundation Brush to apply BalmShelter Tinted Moisturiser evenly all over my face, avoiding the eye area. Then I go in armed with timeBalm Anti-Wrinkle Concealer & this brush, concealing under & around my eyes (as well as anything else that I want to make disappear for the night e.g. pigmentation, pimples, & whatnot. You know the drill ;) ). To set my base, & make sure there’ll be no shiny-face later on, I used theBalm Powder To The People Powder Brush, swirl it in the Sexy Mama Anti-Shine Translucent Powder, & apply it all over- don’t forget to apply it around your jawline!
Step 2: The Eyes
Lately I’ve been playing around with the halo eye technique - it’s a really easy way of placing eyeshadow to make your eyes appear larger, & just totally beautiful. You can finish it off with eyeliner if you like, or go without if you’re not inclined! I’m using:
- Nude ‘tude Eyeshadow Palette: An amazing everyday palette with 12 shades - a mixture of matte & shimmer - & they’re very easy to blend! I was impressed with the colour payoff as well - and I’m picky.
- Schwing Liquid Eyeliner: I love how quickly this liner dries, and the fact that it has a MATTE finish is so good! It lasts for ages with no smudging or flaking.
- Cheater Mascara: This bad boy gives volume AND length, & is virtually impossible to mess up - it just doesn’t clump. HIGH FIVE!
Then using the same brush, apply the shade Sultry lightly in the crease- this is your transition shade, which softly contours the eye area AND helps with blending the next few shadows in this look.
OKAY - this is when we start to build up the whole halo look! The most important thing to remember is that you’re going to want to keep the middle of your lid free of product for now. Take a small, dense brush & apply the shade Sultry or Sexy to the inner corners of your lid, and the outer corners. This will leave a funny looking space in the middle, but it’s okay! You’re on the way!
Find the smallest, tapered blending brush you have, & apply the same shade (Sultry) carefully through the crease- making sure to avoid the middle of the lid. Blend & blend so the shadow is even, applying more if you prefer a darker eye look :)
Next up, using theBalm angle brush, I line the same shade Sultry underneath my lower lashes. As above, I leave a small space right in the middle.
Now, if you’re a huge fan of a smokey eye look, you can repeat exactly what you’ve done already using a deeper shade such as Sexy, or Sleek. I’m sticking to the basics for now, because that’s how I roll. But let’s finish the halo!
Using a small, dense brush, apply a high-shine, sparkly shade like Standoffish to the bare part of your lid. If you want to make it super intense, use a wet brush- BAM. Also apply this to the bare part of your lower lash line. Don’t forget to use the same shade to highlight the very inner corners of your eyes - this makes them look bigger & brighter!
Liner time! I don’t generally use liner, but this is theBalm and it is Christmas, so let’s just do it. Check out Chloe Morello’s excellent tips for eyeliner here if you need a hand - I know I do. Finish off your look with lashings & lashings of mascara - top & bottom lashes. I love the Cheater Mascara for its brush - so easy to get the little lashes in the corner!
Step 3: Cheeks/Contouring
We’re on the homestretch, you guys! These are the products I’m using next:
- Bahama Mama Bronzing Powder: This bronzing powder is one of my FAVES because it’s truly matte - making it perfect to use for contouring! I’ve also used it as a eyeshadow before for a natural look.
- fratBoy Blush: This peachy-pink shade is safe to use on the eyes as well - it’s especially great for making green eyes pop!
- Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter: Potentially the best-known product from theBalm, & for good reason - this finely-milled highlighter packs a real punch. It’s a gorgeous champagne colour & seems to suit virtually everyone!
Firstly, using a large fluffy brush, sweep Bahama Mama across your forehead, your cheekbones & nose, and around your jawline. If you’d like to get in on a little contour action, use a smaller brush to apply a little bronzer underneath your cheekbones - not too much! Make sure you’re not a stripe-face & blend it gently with the large powder brush.
Blush time! Everyone has different places on their face that they like to apply blush - it all depends on face shape, so have a play around & suss out what looks best for you. I like to apply it directly on my cheekbones, taking it up to the hairline, using a brush like this.
Take the Mary-Lou Manizer, and start highlighting your little FACE! I like to use this on the very tops of my cheekbones & cupids bow - but you can go nuts because it’s Christmas, & this product is too good to be stingy with.
Step 4: Lips
Final step! This is where personal preference comes into play - because your eye makeup is fairly neutral, you can opt for whatever shade of lip product you feel most gorgeous in. I’m going to show you two options from theBalm below - but whatever you choose, make sure it’s a long-wearing formula. No one wants to be constantly reapplying lipstick while at a party - you’ll be too busy being festive, right?
- Staniac in Beauty Queen: My personal fave! This lip/cheek stain is AMAZING - you can wear it on its own for a “your-lips-but-better” vibe, or layer it underneath other lip products, which is what I’m doing in this look.
- theBalm Girls Lipstick in Mai Billsbepaid: I love these lipsticks because of how creamy they are, & how nice they feel on the lips - they contain vitamins A & E, as well as jojoba oil & olive oil!
- Meet Matt (e) Hughes Lipstick in Committed: These long-wearing liquid lipsticks come in 12 different shades, & have an excellent matte finish which doesn’t feel drying!
*image on right, wearing Staniac + Mai Billsbepaid Lipstick*
Aaaaaand you’re done! Hopefully I’ve given you some inspiration to create a PERFECT Christmas party look, and also let you know how fab theBalm is! I can’t stress enough how legendary the range is (particularly in terms of quality), and how awesome it is to be able to purchase them easily in New Zealand. theBalm will be available in selected Life & Unichem pharmacies later this month, so make sure to keep an eye out...before MUO members make them sell out ;)
I have THREE (yusss, THREE) theBalm Meet Matt(e) Trimony Palettes each worth $89.99 RRP to give away to THREE lucky MUO members, yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Look at it - SUCH BEAUTY
Want to read more? Check out this link! Thank you so much to the team from theBalm for making this post possible!